11/4/19

Travel-Themed Projects



A Collection of 
Travel-Themed Projects

I had an aversion to travel, especially out of the country, for many years.  I think it had to do in part with fear:  fear of language differences and all the problems that might arise from cultural-political issues; fear of not having enough money to get our kids through college, etc., etc.   But after Gloria had gone through a horrific time (battle) with a very aggressive form of Breast Cancer between 2003-2007, and survived it, we both felt like a celebration was in order.   One of Gloria's dreams was to travel to her beloved Italy, the land of her ancestors.  So we did it!  

The Doctors had warned us that because of the aggressive kind of cancer she had, it could very well return at any time; and so after traveling to Italy we continued living with this ever present fear, and yet in some ways that fear motivated us to do some additional traveling to make up for past lost opportunities.  

The photography projects below represent all our Travel adventures to date (November 4, 2019).  Certainly the trip to Italy in 2007 was the most romantic; then the trip to Turkey was the most meaningful one for me personally.  The project about our trip to Spain had been  integrated into the "Imaginary Book" project, and so I have included it in the list below separately.  

The trip to the Hudson River Valley was a solo journey for me--the only time I traveled without Gloria.  After our experience in Alaska in August, 2019, I can't help but wonder if long distance travel will ever be possible for us again.  However I must say, here, that all of my photography projects have been a form of travel for me . . . into the Imaginal World.  My Creative Process has been a sustained blessing for which I am constantly grateful.   

Italy, 2007

Costa Rica, 2010

The Hudson River Valley, 2010

Turkey, 2011 "An Imaginary Book"  (a multi-chaptered project)



This Page was announced on my Blog's
Welcome Page on November 4, 2019  


Visit or return to the Welcome Page to my Departing Landscape photography blog, which includes the complete listing of my online photography projects dating back to the 1960's, my resume, contact information, and much much more.