3/22/24

Book Eight 12x12 Studies Collection


    Book Eight 
   12x12" Studies : A Collection of Inkjet Prints 
March 2024

Introduction
This Eighth Book of 12x12" inkjet printed images may be the last in the series.  Please visit the following link to see my updated list of completed Inkjet Print Books, Projects (and more).
 
            
The images I am presenting here are among my most favorite photographs, often for very personal reasons; however what is most important to me are the images which were functioning for me as a True, living Symbols at the time I chose to include them in this projectTrue Symbols are images radiant with their own inner light, with the grace, the divine presence of my Creative Process.  I have included a broad range of images, themes, concepts, etc. from my extensive 60 year archive of images here and in my other 12x12" Books, to the extent possible given the limitations of the square format I have placed on my Books project.


The symmetrical photographs I have included here are among my most favorite images, perhaps because they are the most literal visual embodiment of the idea of a True, living symbol, an image which conjoins corresponding images from the inner and outer worlds.  True living symbols make palpable in feeling (and in formal appearance) a kind of meaning that is not sayable, but nonetheless invokes an inner sense that what I am experiencing is about something essential within my own Being.  I am certain this "something within" has to do with an archetypal Truth: the Oneness of Being.  As a student of Siddha Yoga Meditation (since 1987) I have an experiential sense that we all share the same inner, Supreme Self.    

I invite you to visit these links:
Symmetrical Photographs  a collection of Images, Projects and Texts

*
I have placed under all the photographs below an Image #, a title (usually descriptive) and under certain images I have included some commentary and/or a link to related projects and images.  

Again, I want to stress that all the images published in my blog versions of the 12x12" Books and Projects exist as 12x12" inkjet prints of impressive technical quality.  However the images published on my blog can seem--in their initial appearance in the blog's default presentation mode on your computer screen--a bit unsharp, and at times a bit tonally flat, particularly on desktop and laptop computers.  This is due to technical issues related to image compression, among other things.  ~  It is possible for you to see the blog images with excellent resolution and luminous tonalities in an alternative viewing mode by clicking twice on any image in my blog projects.  (You can also zoom in or out on the image and adjust the screen brightness as desirable.)  

To learn more about the technical issues involved, see my following explanation: How to Best View My Online Blog Project Images).  


12x12" Studies Inkjet Prints    
~ Book Eight ~  
The Photographs  

Image #1  Book Eight  12x12" Studies  :  Golden stormy sunset,  South Meadow & Pond  


Image #2  Book Eight  12x12" Studies : Nocturne: "Waking Up This Morning" Gold light and a Red Cup


 
Image #3  Book Eight 12x12" Studies : Nocturne, Covered night night with a blue underglow & shadow  


Image #4  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Nocturne, vase with dried plant


Image #5  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Symmetrical dried plants suspended in yellow space


Image #6  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Symmetrical rock flower
See these two projects: Rock Flowers  &  Symmetrical Photographs (Images, Projects, Texts) 

Image #7  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Symmetrical Cloud photograph


Image #8  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Bridal Falls  (Niagara Falls)
See my Project: "Falling Water"  Collected Water Themed Projects

Image #9  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Picture Window, Tomatoes, sunrise over North  Meadow


Image #10 Book Eight 12x12" Studies : Box of tissues reflected in picture window


Image #11 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  N Meadow, blue sky, clouds & pond (hidden in shadow)


Image #12 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Four stones on a snow covered raised bed


Image #13 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Snow, stones, a garden stake and a post


Image #14 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Snow covered suspended shovel 


Image #15 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  A misty, snow covered N Meadow with an iced-over pond,


 Image #16 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Snowball & shadow;  Blue snow & a long narrow shadow 


Image #17 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Symmetrical Photograph (Light Blue Snow Angel) 


Image #18 Book Eight 12x12" Studies : Symmetrical Photograph, Ice forms on skylight glass


Image #19 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Symmetrical Photograph, Plant Mandala (inversed colors)


Image #20 Book Eight 12x12" Symmetrical Photograph : Broad Brook Stones (two blue heart stones)


Image #21 Book Eight 12x12" Symmetrical Photograph : Broad Brook Stones (Angel wings)


Image #22 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Broad Brook Stone & moist red leaf


Image #23 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Nocturne, Blue stones and a puddle on a rubber sheet 


Image #24 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Nocturne, coffee filters on top of a water jar
This image and the next four images are Pandemic Inspired Projects


Image #25 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Tape, matte knife, stapler, etc. in basement window light   


Image #26  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Roll of paper towels & shadows from basement window light 


Image #27  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  White shape suspended in basement Pandemic darkness 


Image #28 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Shrouded bottle, scissors, pull cord, soft window light of dusk


Image #29 Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Out of focus, divided head (Rome's Colosseum)  


Image #30  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :   Venetian cord & reflections in store front window
See my Postludes project

Image #31  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Crossed shadow of a Man walking (inversed--negative image) 


Image #32  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Man with hat walking away  (inversed--negative image) 


Image #33  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Hand with wristwatch & a glass of illuminated iced lemonade


Image #34  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Stainless steel graduate with a streak of light in water   


 
Image #35  Book Eight 12x12" Studies : Scraped wall drawing & back scratcher, basement light


Image #36  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Symmetrical photograph   Dragon (Fish under water) 




Image #37  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Costa Rica bird in a Costa Rica tree
Visit my Faint photographs project 


Image #38  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Grasshopper (Faint photograph)


Image #39  Book Eight 12x12" Studies :  Man & Woman walking into light  (Faint Photograph)
 

Image #40  Book Eight 12x12" Symmetrical photo : Brattleboro, VT  Autumn Leaves under water

This photograph and the five that follow are from my October 2018 blog project
The Brook, Symmetrical Water PhotographsI was especially interested in
the presence of the colored Fall leaves that had fallen into brooks and 
other bodies of water in Brattleboro and its nearby landscapes.

Image #41  Book Eight 12x12" Symmetrical photo : Brattleboro, VT  Autumn Leaves under water


Image #42  Book Eight 12x12" Symmetrical photo : Brattleboro, VT  Autumn Leaves under water


Image #43  Book Eight 12x12" Symmetrical photo : Brattleboro, VT  Autumn Leaves under water


Image #44  Book Eight 12x12" Symmetrical photo : Brattleboro, VT  Autumn Leaves under water


Image #45  Book Eight 12x12" Symmetrical photo : Brattleboro, VT  Autumn Leaves under water

This last image from my collection of Brattleboro, Vt. Symmetrical Water Photographs is
particularly meaningful for me.  I invite you to read my commentary on the image:
Click on this link The Brook, find Image #29, then scroll down to my "fourth 
reading" in the section entitled "Readings of four selected photographs"



Image #46  Book Eight 12x12"   Blue & Gold Symmetrical Snow photograph


         *     *     

As you may know, in January 2023 I had cataract surgery on both my eyes.  As Destiny would have it
 both eyes then suffered retina tears which required additional surgeries.  BFebruary 2023 however I 
 was able to begin printing with my new Epson 6000P inkjet printer thanks to the help I received from
a large magnifying glass and some drugstore glasses. ~  I have been doing very little camera-work
since the surgeries, partly because of my strong feeling to create an inkjet print Archive of my 
most favorite images selected from the blog projects I created since I first initiated my
blog in late 2010, and partly because I have been struggling with a disparity in the
vision between my two eyes.  My left eye does not see the same way as my 
right eye, and my brain gets exhausted trying to bring the two images
into alignment.  I get pretty disoriented at times from the disparity
issue and this makes it hard to "see photographically."  The 
disparity does not impact my work on the computer with 
photoshop or in evaluating the inkjet prints.
I hope to be getting back to making more new photographs with my camera, but in the meantime
 I feel very grateful to be working so prolifically on my 2023-2024 Inkjet Print Project.  
The prints are quite beautiful and I have learned from doing this work that the print
means more to me now then I had thought would be possible 14 years ago
when I started publishing everything on my blog. I still regard my blog 
projects very important, but I have enjoyed choosing what I consider
some of my best work from all the images I have produced for
my blog projects and making inkjet prints of them, giving
those images a physical presence in the world.

*     *     *

All of my 2023 camera-work images printed in the last year can be seen in these three 12x12" PROJECTS: 
 
*     *     *     *  

 ~  New Work ~      
March 2024      
  
 The four images below were all made with my digital camera in March, 2024 and printed in March, 2024.
I have fallen in love with the 12x12" inkjet prints I have been making over the past year and thus
 I have made this new work in the same 12x12" inkjet print format. 

Image #47  Book Eight 12x12" Still life with Globe, dried plants, spring light, March 2024


 #48  Book Eight 12x12" Symmetrical photo :  Young fig plants by basement window March, 2024 


Image #49  Book Eight 12x12"  Spring snow, March 2024  (photographed from our picture window) 


Image #50  Book Eight 12x12" S Meadow & Pond  Late March Sunset 2024



*

This project was first announced on 
my bog's Welcome Page on
March 22, 2024
I added images 40-50 at the end of March.  


Related Blog Project Links

How to Best View My Online Blog Images with your desktop or laptop computer.    


Symmetrical Photographs  a collection of Images, Projects and Texts



Please visit the Welcome Page to my blog The Departing Landscape.  It includes the complete hyperlinked listing of my online photography projects dating from the most recent to those dating back to the 1960's.  You will also find on the Welcome Page my resume, contact information . . . and much more.