7/12/24

12x12" Walkabout photographs


     WALKABOUT  
  A 12x12" Inject Print PROJECT
 
Introduction
Young photographers in the mid-1960's, like me, walked and walked and walked throughout the larger cities of the US looking for people, events, things & places to photograph. Walker Evans walked all over the South during the Great Depression looking for images that would Praise Famous Men, and  Eugene Atget walked all over Paris and its surrounds photographing anything that might fill his archive documenting the Old City; W. Eugene Smith photographed World War II, and then traveled for Life Magazine making photographs for the magazine's photo essays; Robert Frank walked all over the United States for his book The Americans; Henri Cartier-Bresson walked all over the world looking for the most essential Decisive Moments

When I was in High School (in a small town in Indiana) in the early 1960's, I was looking mostly at camera magazines; I was very impressed by W. Eugene Smith's photographs.  Then in college (RIT, Rochester, NY)  I discovered Robert Frank's The Americans and Dave Heath's A Dialogue With Solitude.  

In my second and third year at RIT I studied with Nathan Lyons in his year-long "Home Workshops."  He was at that time director of exhibitions at George Eastman House, but he used his Home Workshops as a way of preparing to teach in his own school which later became the Visual Studies Workshop, in Rochester, NY.   He referred often to Robert Frank and Lee Friedlander in his bimonthly teaching sessions, and he prepared an exhibition of Gary Winogrand's photographs that helped me to appreciate the new Street Photographers.  Their influence can be seen in the photographs I was making for Nathan's Workshop assignments (Fig. 1).  

Fig. 1  12x12" version of a Photograph inspired by W. Eugene Smith, Dave Heath, 
& Robert Frank, for Nathan Lyons Home Workshop, Rochester, NY 1964-66.
See my 1966 Book project for Nathan's 2nd Workshop 

Fig. 2  Photos inspired by Lee Friedlander, Gary Winogrand & Mario Giacamelli 
from my 1968 Senior Project, Institute of Design, IIT, Chicago:  
 a Hand Bound Book,  Kraus 

(See my Personal History of Photography for more detailed information, pictures, 
  and a chronology of the ideas, subjects, places and stages within my Creative Process.)  

After three years in Rochester, NY  I moved to  Chicago, where I finished up my undergrad work at the Institute of Design, IIT.  For my senior project I created my own book of photographs inspired by the "Street Photographers."

I had fallen in love with Gloria (my wife to be) in Chicago, and among many things my book Kraus was a love poem to her.  Then I moved to NYC in the summer of 1968 waiting for her to arrive in Brooklyn to begin studying art at the Pratt Institute in the Fall.   ~  After a year of working and photographing and falling deeper in love with Gloria in New York City, I received a Teaching Fellowship at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.  I asked Gloria to come with me, we got married, and we spent the next three years in New Mexico.  

As an MFA graduate student (1969-72) I spent my first year making street photographs in downtown Albuquerque, then I became very interested in the work of Alfred Stieglitz and Minor White, and especially their ideas regarding the equivalent photograph. 

A fellow student suggested I look into Carl Jung's work in depth psychology for a more expanded understanding of the equivalent concept.  Jung's ideas about the Creative Process in Medieval Alchemy, and how it related to the psyche's Creative Unconscious fascinated me; then later Jung's writings on the concept of the Symbol and Synchronicity really, really excited me.  I devoted over a year and a half of my three years in graduate school researching and writing a long (required) MFA Thesis paper based on Jung's work entitled The Symbolic Photograph : A Means to Self-Knowledge.  The ideas in my thesis paper continues to be relevant to me today.  Indeed, after graduate school, and my first teaching job, I stopped walking about in cities with a camera strapped to my hand, and began looking much more inwardly photographically as I more consciously pursued and taught about the Symbolic Photograph.  

Those three years in New Mexico--newly married, teaching photography classes to undergrad students, writing my thesis essay, meeting a few influential students and faculty --were very important then and all that happened in New Mexico continues to have its impact in my life today.  Later, I came to understand that my study of Jung's work helped prepare me for my destined 1987 meeting with Gurumayi Chidvilasanadaa Truly great Master of yoga and teacher of Siddha Yoga meditation.   

*

My first teaching job, at Georgia State University, Atlanta (1972-75), provided me with yet another big city experience.  I experimented with a new form of "Street Photography" --that involved multiple-exposure in the camera--that yielded some fascinating, transformative photographs.  (See the image below from the project Atlanta City Series.)

Image #68   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
Masked Ghost Woman surrounded by other ghosts, Atlamta, Ga.

 In 1975 I continued the multiple-exposure projects by photographing my family life after we moved to Milwaukee and got situated in our very own house.  I was fortunate in getting a teaching position at the University of Wisconsin, Milwuakee, where I was asked to set up my own photography program within the Art Department.    

In the late 1970's I became inspired by the concept of MAKOM, "the Place" and this took pictorial form in five projects--(and later a sixth) which I completed in Milwaukee between 1978 and 2001.  


*

I worked in silver gelatin print throughout the Milwaukee years (1975-2002.  Then in 2003 I began experimenting with making digital inkjet prints by scanning negatives I had made earlier in my career and playing with them with Photoshop software.  In 2007 I exhibited my first completely digital inkjet print project Triadic Memories.   Though I had stopped making street photographs several of the prints I created for this exhibition made use of those kinds of images. (See for example Images #73, below, plus #74 &#75  at the end of this project, and Figs. 3, 4 & 5 (following Image #4).)  

Image #73   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"  
Crossed shadow of a Man walking (inversed--negative image)

By the time I had retried in 2007 I not only retired from teaching, I also reluctantly retired from exhibiting my work regularly in Milwaukee and Chicago.   The economy was collapsing, galleries were closing, real estate prices were dropping . . .   Gloria and I decided to sell our house in Milwaukee and move to some place closer to family in Rochester, NY.  Fate would have it that we bought a house in Canandaigua, NY in 2008 with a beautiful meadow, two ponds, and a tapering wood behind our house.  I felt like giving up the world of exhibiting in galleries and Museums and just focus on making new work.  My son suggested I try blogging, and in November, 2010 I initiated my Departing Landscape photography blog.  I fell in love with blogging and the meadow and have been blogging and photographing the meadow continuously to this very day.  (See my Meadow blog Project.)   

Soon after I began blogging I decided to stop my usual work habit of making prints of my new images.  Instead I devoted my Creative Process solely to producing new online, blog photography projects; then a few years later I also began archiving (digitally) many of my most important earlier silver gelatin print projects, and publishing the images (with new texts) as blog projects.  My long term goal, then, was to have an online (blog) archive of all my new blog projects and eventually online versions of all my earlier silver print projects as well.  Today, as I write in mid July,2024 I can say I have accomplished this huge task (and I owe a lot of thanks to my wife Gloria for all the support she has given me to help make it all possible).

*  

My meeting (and Gloria's too) with Gurumayi in the summer of 1987 cannot be simply glossed over, for it was surely the most important thing that had ever happened to me.  Her grace, here teachings, and everything about Siddha Yoga initiated a major transformation within me and my photographic practice.  As I studied the yogic teachings I discovered that my graduate thesis ideas about the Symbolic Photograph resonated perfectly with Gurumayi's teachings about grace and the Oneness of BeingHer teachings and her living example provided me with a conscious and experiential understanding of what I now call the True, living Symbolic photograph.  My practice of yoga meditation and my practice of photographic picture-making gradually merged into each other.  Thus my photography became for me a way of contemplating and understanding more deeply the yogic teachings and my own Self, and photography became for me a form of meditation and a way of seeing outer things inwardly; a way of seeing inwardly outer things . . .


The Morandi Inspired Still Life Project

My Morandi inspired Still Life  project, which began in August, 2013, became a meditation on the life or consciousness in objects, and the life, consciousness or divine presence that pervaded the space between things surrounding all the things of the created world.  I photographed pretty much exclusively in my house and the Meadow behind our house for two years with a feeling of total freedom that emerged after the first few years of retirement and woking only for my blog.  I enjoyed a more intensely productive and adventurous time of working photographically then at any other earlier time in my life.  I also became quite content living a quiet, contemplative life in Canandaigua, a small town set next to one of the beautiful Finger Lakes in the graceful rolling hills of Central New York State.  


Regarding the "Walkabout" Photographs

After working in my house on the Still Life project for a year and a half, in April, 2014 I read something in a book by Janet Abramowicz, Giorgio Morandi: The Art of Silence that acted as a catalyst to getting me back "out into the world" again, photographically, and to some extent "back on the streets." 

Abramowicz knew Morandi very well, first as one of his art students at the university in Bologna, then as his studio assistant; eventually she became a friend of the family.  Morandi lived in an apartment with his three sisters and he used only a small bedroom as his painting studio.  Abramowicz wrote in her book (surprisingly to me):  

“Morandi was a walker of tremendous endurance; he had from childhood been accustomed to covering most of his city [Bologna] on foot, and he knew every inch of it well.  In his daily walks, Morandi carefully observed how light modified the forms of the old buildings and arcaded streets, and he visualized how these common elements could be transformed into subjects for his paintings.”

I had become very identified with Morandi, his work, his life . . .  so I decided to take what I had learned from the first nine chapters of my Still Life project and apply it photographically to subject matter outside of my house, in other words, in all the rest of my world.  I took my camera whenever I left the house, and the photographs for Part One of my four part Chapter 10, Still Life project entitled "Walkabout" started to emerge quite spontaneously and bountifully.



Shortly after I had initiated what would eventually be called "Part 1" of my Tenth Chapter of my Still Life project, I made pictures like this one . . .

Image #24   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   
Wire Book Stand in a storefront window
Main Street, Canandaigua, NY  Walkabout Part 1

While I was working on Part I, I traveled to Memphis, Tennessee to visit my friend and excellent landscape photographer, Larry McPherson.  During my visit I made lots of (Morandi inspired) photographs inside his house; and when we went for walks together in his neighborhood, visited the Memphis library, ate at an Ethiopian restaurant, and visited a beautiful wildlife refuge outside of Memphis, I took even more and more photographs, quite spontaneously, with a feeling of great freedom.  Also, on the way back home I also photographed in the Memphis airport while waiting for my flight.  It was as if Morandi's vision of the world had visited me, had inhabited my Creative Process.  

The title "Walkabout" for the tenth chapter of my Still Life project came to me one evening when Larry suggested we watch an old movie he’d been wanting to revisit: the 1971 film entitled Walkabout.  After seeing the film I began thinking about how the initiation ritual of the Australian Aborigine related to my practice as a photographer, my practice as a meditator, and to Morandi’s creative process.  

The photographs I made during my Memphis visit with Larry became Part II of the "Walkabout" series; Part III consisted of a series of photographs I made inside the old house my brother-in-law had just purchased and was in the process of remodeling it.  ~  Recently, in August, 2o23, I visited Larry again; I added those photographs made in his house to my Workabout project as Part IV.

(Note: When I visited Larry in 2023 I had already begun my 12x12" Inkjet Print Project.  The Walkabout PROJECT before you now is of course directly related to my Morandi inspired "Walkabout projects and my three-four year experience of making The Pandemic Inspired Photography Projects, which I will write about next.)

The Pandemic Inspired Photography Projects 2020, 21, 22, 2023

In the winter and spring of 2020 I began working on what turned out to be a very large series of photographic blog projects: the Pandemic Inspired Photography ProjectsI was back inside my house making photographs again for the next three years while I patiently waited for the Pandemic to end . . .  and waiting to hear--once again--from the Museum of Wisconsin Art about an exhibition they had planned to mount of my work for the year 2021.  The museum had announced their intention to do the exhibit in late Fall of 2019 just weeks before the pandemic erupted in the United States. 

(*Note: See my project Snapshots.  The Museum made a public announcement in late October of 20119 that they were planning to create a retrospective exhibition of my photography, travel it (their first venture into the realm of creating a traveling exhibition), and publish a book of the exhibited works in 2021.  After Covid hit the states, the curator who was to put the exhibition and book together got married, had a child, then his wife was offered a great job in Cincinnati, so the curator left Wisconsin with his family and . . . I have not yet heard from Museum about the exhibition. ~  I am happy making prints again, and organizing the work, lately, with the PROJETS.  The work goes on, exhibit on no . . .)
  
*

So, here I am, in July 2024, approaching the end of the process of producing an entire series of 12x12" inkjet print PROJECTS & Books which, in a way, is a kind of retrospective review of my life as a photographer, as, for example in this project how I have been thinking back to my high school influences, and remembering all the walking I had done in my life, camera in hand (or camera on tripod) in some of the largest cities in the United States and the World.  

(For the first sixteen years of my life I had lived only in small towns in Ohio and Indiana.  When I was accepted to RIT's photography program, I had no idea that Rochester was a hotbed for contemporary photography thanks to RIT's Fine Arts Photography program with Minor White teaching there, and the George Eastman House Museum with Nathan Lyons as its exhibition director.  ~  Rochester was--for me--a huge city, unbelievably, vitally alive for budding young photographers.  After I studied with Minor White for one semester at RIT, he left for a job teaching at MIT; then I learned about Nathan's Home Workshops and spent my last two years in Rochester studying with him, working to make some money, taking a few transferable classes at RIT, and then moving on to Chicago where I was able to study with Aaron Siskind and Wynn Bullock.  After graduation I moved to New York City, getting more deeply involved with Gloria, and then after a year working with a commercial photographer, moved on to the University of New Mexico on a Teaching Fellowship and studied with Van deren Coke, Ray Metzker and Beaumont Newhall, who was teaching as an honorary Professor Emeritus at that time.  He served on my Thesis Committee.)  


The Way In

Whoever you are: some evening take a step
out of your house, which you know so well.
Enormous space is near . . .

From the poem by Rainer Maria Rilke
trans. Robert Bly from his book News of the Universe 
I used this poem in Part I of my Walkabout project  

My destiny, without question, was to be a photographer in this life; it was foretold in an epiphanic experience I had when I was nearly ten years old, just days before my father died (click here & read story 5 & 6 about my epiphany).   In High School, I created a little exhibit of photographs inspired by The Family of Man, then I got accepted at RIT, and . . . you know most of the rest.  Photography enabled me to get out of Portland, Indiana and a dysfunctional family situation with a step-father and walk about freely in the world searching for images of personal and transcendent meaning.  Photography helped me to look deeply into life and to contemplate my life experiences and the ancient Yogic Teachings.  Photography gave visual form to the "Enormous space" of my life as a whole, which has included marriage, two children, teaching, exhibiting my work, traveling after retirement, and exploring my inner world through the Symbolic photographs I have made and contemplated--images which have provided me with numerous levels of meaning, some of which are ineffable, some of which are pervaded by Silence.  I believe it was Gurumayi's grace that initiated that epiphanic experience when I was nearly ten years old; and her presence, her grace has, it seems, always been with me--both before I met her in August, 1987, and certainly every moment thereafter. 

*     *     *     *

A few closing words about this project before I present the photographs:  Every image you will be seeing below exists as a 12x12" inkjet print.  For the most part the images in this blog project have been drawn from the archive of 12x12" prints I have created for my 2023-24 Inkjet Print Project : its Books & PROJECTS.

I have numbered the images below, and (in most cases) given each image a descriptive title; I have been careful to identify the place in which each image was taken, and under many of the images I have have added a brief personal commentary regarding the image.  I have not added dates to the images.  I have found it a most unrewarding way to spend my time, but under some images I have also provided links to other blog projects that relate directly to the presented image.
  
(Note: Though I have had little interest in dating my 12x12" images, one could do so by referring to my Complete List of dated, titled, illustrated Photography Projects posted on my blog's Welcome Page. 

In addition to the complete listing of my blog projects on the Welcome Page, you might be interested in seeing my list of conceptual and/or subject matter themes and the projects I have included and provided links for regarding each theme.  ~  At the bottom of this project page, I have provided a list of project links that have a direct relationship to this project.  For a detailed, illustrated, annotated biography of my life as a photographer visit my blog project A Personal History of Photography.

~

A brief note about "How to Best View My Online Blog Project Images" 
If you are viewing this project on a desktop computer or a laptop, I encourage you to read my blog explanation regarding How to Best View My Online Blog Project Images.  In brief, click on the images once, then once again; this will (hopefully) enlarge the image and present it in a dark tonal environment at its maximum viewing quality in terms of image sharpness, luminance, tonal gradations, etc.  Once you have entered this alternate viewing space you can then use your zoom-in & zoom-out keyboard or menu options to adjust the image size, and darken or lighten your computer's screen brightness to suite your particular viewing preferences.


WALKABOUT   
12x12" Inkjet Print Photographs    
         __________________________________________                  

Image #1   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"    
Four shadowy figures walking about in a circle, 
under a ball of light, in Italy (a Museum Tour)   

    
Image #2   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout" 
Costa Rica Tour: A bus with its headlights on, its driver walking back toward his bus) 

   
Image #3   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"  
A boy surprised by the blue balloon with a yellow tail  ~  Seneca Zoo, Rochester, NY

  
Image #4   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout" 
A Milwaukee fisherman, in sunlit fog, on the rocky edge of Lake Michigan

______________________________________________________________________________ 
______________________________________________________________________________

Note:  the next three images, below, Figs. 3, 4 & 5, have been drawn from an earlier
12x12" inkjet print PROJECT  The Early 1994-2000 Studies Photographs.
The images appear small in the larger tonal 12x12" matte to illustrate the 
original miniature size of silver gelatin print, 3.5" square.  Visit the 
above link for more detailed information.

Fig. 3  Early Studies 12x12" PROJECT  Man's shadow, white outlined woman, and her shadow


Fig. 4  Early Studies 12x12" PROJECT   Woman in a hat, a white outlined figure & its shadow 


 
Fig. 5  Early Studies 12x12" PROJECT  Young girl with sweater over her head

______________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________



Image #5   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout" 
Shepherds on the side of a hill in Turkey (viewed through a shaded bus window)

Image #6   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"
Butterflies and oranges (Canada Butterfly Museum near Niagara Falls)

Image #7   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"  
 Motel window view of two fences on two sides of a swimming pool
Maine (near Acadia National Park) 

Image #8   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"
Four plastic hangers dissolving into the shadowed background coat rack 
(Medical Facility, Rochester, NY)

Image #9   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"
Garage photograph with dark sky, shadows, dark and white lines
(Milwaukee Alley)
I have spent untold hours walking the wonderful alleys throughout the entire city of Milwaukee
for many different photography projects.

Image #10   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"
A limbless tree in a Milwaukee park on a very foggy day following a snow storm
This photograph is from my Images of Eden project

Image #11   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   
Green garden hose under a long table with red flowers on top of it
(Buffalo Botanical Gardens, NY)

Image #12   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"    Green river, tree limb and shadows 
Genesee River, near High Falls, Rochester, NY

Image #13   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   
Three Chatham Lane houses in sunlit fog viewed 
from the North Meadow, Canandaigua, NY

Image #14    12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"     
South Meadow Pond, iced over, a finger pointing . . .
behind Chatham Lane, Canandaigua, NY

Image #15   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   
The side of our Neighbor's house after a late afternoon rain storm
Chatham Lane, Canandaigua, NY

Image #16   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"    
Milwaukee downtown bus stop, snow storm, pigeons flying upward
From my project City Places. 

Image #17   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"     
Little girl on a golf green with a cup of ice cream 
Milwaukee County Park, July 4th Event for children  

Image #18   12x12" PROJECT "Walkabout"    Hudson River, near Bear Mountain State Park, NY
This image is the concluding image from my Hudson River Valley Project.
It is also one of my favorite images from my collection of
Faint Photographs (for the Departing Landscape).  

Image #19   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"      "Eating the Sun" 
from my River Song project
The Milwaukee River near downtown Milwaukee

Image #20   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"    
from the project "In the Woods"  Atlanta, Georgia   

 
Image #21   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"  A fisherman  standing under the sun
 in Lake Michigan, Milwaukee shore,  from the Lake Series project

Image #22   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   "Walking on salt in Death Valley"

Image #23   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   
Memphis Airport windows, Airplane taking off

Image #24   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   Wire Book Stand in a storefront window
Main Street, Canandaigua, NY     "Still Life" Walkabout project

Image #25   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"    
A young man and woman inside a circle of light
Wedding Reception, Cleveland, Ohio   

Image #26   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   
Man leaning against his garage looking down 
This image is from the Negative Print SeriesThe subject matter for the project
was primarily Milwaukee back yards.  I subtitled  the project Memories of Childhood.

Image #27   12x12" Inkjet PROJECT "Walkabout"   Illuminated corn stalk 
in a field of corn near Milwaukee  (A Thing-Centered photograph)

Image #28   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   Ancient Ruin fragment, Turkey 

   
  
Image #29   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   River walking through a meadow puddle
River is our Grandson, splashing in a puddle with his "frog" boots.  His
splashing stirred up the puddle mud and created a fantasy image
of an "animal playmate" (or so it appears to me). 

Image #30  12x12" PROJECT "Walkabout"     Climbing rocks in the Black Hills of South Dakota

Image #31   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   Waving Goodbye, Rochester, NY Airport

Image #32   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"
Memphis, 2023   A Little Butterfly on my friend's kitchen window screen
My friend Larry pointed, then asked me to take the picture

Image #33   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"
Memphis, 2023  Workout room, early morning light on the venetian blinds  

Image #34   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout" 
River sitting by a tree stump with a mobile phone at Green Lakes State Park, NY

        
Image #35   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
Symmetrical photograph, Angelic Presence in the Vermont Forest above Broad Brook
Visit my Broad Brook project.

      
Image #36   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"  Symmetrical Image, "Broad Brook, Stones" 

     
Image #37   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout" 
Miniature Pony and its reflection in a puddle, Sheboygan, Wisconsin 

        
    Image #38  12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout" Symmetrical Image, New Mexico stones
(from my project "Homage to Frederico Mompou")
                                       
        
Image #39   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
Symmetrical Image, looking down into a Volcano in Costa Rica 

          
     Image #40   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT "Walkabout"   Symmetrical Image, Niagara Falls, NY 
     click here to visit the Niagara Falls project

                
Image #41   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
Symmetrical photograph, "A Walk in Twilight Garden" Pittsford, NY

           
Image #42   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"   "Persephone in the Underworld"
       Persephone Series  (Whitnall Botanical Gardens, Milwaukee)

                            
Image #43  12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
Two round hay bales wrapped in white plastic, late afternoon light, 
in the snow dotted surrounding hills above Canandaigua, NY

                        
Image #44   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
Over-View of Canandaigua Lake (with a house & a white square on its side)

                                            
                         Image #45   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"              
                 "Still Life" Walkabout project: Restaurant table setting, Salt shakers, soy sauce bottle, blue light)        
           
                    
                     Image #46   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"           
Hudson River, Cloud, its shadow & reflection  ~  Hudson River Valley  project 

                          
Image #47   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
"Setting Son, view through the front window"  Babysitting project,  Pittsford, NY

                    
                 Image #48   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"   Bedroom still life               
                                   A mountain home near Kingston, NY                     

                             
                   Image #49   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"   Young boy, Vatican Statue, Italy                        

                                             
                            Image #50  12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"    A man in the Wisconsin River                     
                                              Death, Art, Writing  Story #18                                             

Image #51  12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
Symmetrical Photo (Rock flower), stones in Acadia National Park, Maine

Image #52   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
Symmetrical Photo (Marble Column, Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey)

Image #53   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
Symmetrical Photograph  (Alcazar pond, Spain) "Fish Feeding Time"
visit my blog project Crystalline Paradise  

Image #54   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
Symmetrical Photograph (goldfish in a pond)  Letchworth State Park, NY

Image #55   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
Pond, Statue, Coins, Bubbles,  Sonnenberg Historical Gardens, Canandaigua, NY 

Image #56   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
A rotted burlap bag full of stones, UWM, Milwaukee  (Kennilworth Warehouse Building)

Image #57   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
The Bather,  Milwaukee Shores of Lake Michigan

Image #58   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT  "Walkabout"
Young Boy & the Universe  ~  Long Island, NY
 
 
Image #59   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
 Gloria standing in the lights of our car, on our way to Albuquerque, New Mexico


           Image #60   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
Old Man (out of focus) standing in sunlight under the Elevated, Chicago


      Image #61    12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT     "Walkabout"        
      Bus Window, with blue dots above a sleeping passenger's head        
           on the way to Albany, NY to protest Hydrofracking in the state             
               

Image #62   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT        "Tire Swing" (the hills of Cananadaigua, NY)      


              
 Image #63   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT 
"River Sprite" (River Song's project, the Milwaukee River)


Image #64   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT
  (Inversed image) Telephone Pole, foggy filed, near Portland, Indiana 
  

Image #65   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
Suspended bicycle rim in someone's opened door garage, Milwaukee


Image #66   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
Early morning, Mountain top with clouds, a Lake below    Olympic National Park, Washington


Image #67   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
Woods outside of Atlanta, Ga   from the project "In the Woods" 


Image #68   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
Masked Ghost Woman surrounded by other ghosts, Atlamta, Ga.

Image #69   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
"Gettysburg; Windswept Blue Horse & Rider with a blood red sky and luminous orb"     

Image #69-A   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
Memphis Airport (with two figures riding escalators)

 Image #70   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
"Ghost travelers," Anchorage Airport, Alaska

Image #71   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"
The Sacred Mountain Denali, seen through an airplane window on the way to Fairbanks, Alaska
from my project ALASKA

Image #72   12x12" PROJECT  "Walkabout"    Blurred Angel, as perceived in a window's reflection

I became fascinated by Angels after falling in love with Islamic Sacred Art 
while visiting Turkey in 2011. The writings about angles by Henry Corbin 
and by Tom Cheetham was an important influence on my work after I
completed my multi-chaptered 20011-13 project inspired by my
experiences in Turkey.  Visit the project "An Imaginary Book" 
and my collection of Angel ProjectsAs far as I know
Angeles are all about us, but they don't walk.

Image #73   12x12" Inkjet Print PROJECT   "Walkabout"  
Crossed shadow of a Man walking (inversed--negative image)

Note:  I inverse photographs often, especially if I use the image several times in different
variations.  To "inverse" simply means to render the image in opposing tonalities,
for example white becomes black, black becomes white, red become green, etc.
The above image and the two below have had many visual incarnations
over the years, beginning with my early experiments in Photoshop 
and digital printing which began in 2003.  Visit my project 
Postludes in which all the images were printed 18" square.

 Image #74  12x12" PROJECT  "Walkabout"  Man with hat walking away  (inversed--negative image)

Image #75  12x12" PROJECT  "Walkabout"  
"Fireman (inversed) on a ladder suspended in black space"

My 12x12" inkjet print images usually present the image at about 8" square; the surrounding tonal matte 
is about 2" on each side.  The matte tone in these three related images is slightly lighter than the 
pure black tone within the image.  Black in these kinds of images represents (for me) Silence. 



*


 

This project was first announced on 
my bog's Welcome Page on
July12, 2024



Related Blog Project Links

Still Life  2013-14 he blog original Project





How to Best View My Online Blog Images   with your desktop or laptop computer.

A Personal History of Photography an illustrated chronology of a Life in Photography



Please visit the Welcome Page to my blog The Departing Landscape.  It includes the complete hyperlinked listing of my online photography projects dating from the most recent to those dating back to the 1960's.  You will also find on the Welcome Page my resume, contact information . . . and much more.
















.